Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Busy in Breathitt County!

To say that I've had fun this summer would be a huge understatement. At first I was hesitant going into another community but I was welcomed with open arms. The staff here at the Breathitt County Extension Office have definitely showed me that a good relationship with your work family is key to a successful office. The past few weeks have been so busy that I haven't had much time to sit and think about everything I've done.

I have helped with several cooking classes from BBQ Day Camp to 4-H Cooking School. The children learned not only how to BBQ chicken the proper way but the safety precautions you must take when using a charcoal grill. 4-H Cooking School focused on nutrition in each different area. This three day camp consisted of a day focusing on fruits, a day on vegetables, and the last day on grains.

I was also included in planning the annual back-to-school day camp here in Breathitt County. Breathitt County 4-H partnered up with Douthitt Park Recreation to provide this day camp. We had over 90 children participate with well over 30 volunteers. The children went to several different classes taught by people in the community. They were given a backpack with several items that would assist them before school started back.

I also completed my intern project at the Breathitt Regional Juvenile Detention Center. My main focus was to teach financial literacy in my three session class, "Money Management." In the first lesson I explained the main differences between checking and savings accounts, how to write a check, and complete an entry into a check register. The second class focused on budgets and how each person must have a budget that fits their own needs. I also explained the different forms of debt such as loans, credit cards, and how those things effect you down the road.The last class I let the students test their ability to manage money by doing a Reality Store. For those who aren't familiar with this program, each student is given a career with a salary and monthly income. They are also given families where some people may have three children and others only have one. Then they must go around to all of the booths where they have to purchase all of their needs and wants with their limited monthly income. It may seem simple but it shows each student the value of a dollar. In my class there was only one student who could get by on one job alone. Most others had to have second jobs to provide for themselves and their families.

While I am very sad that my internship will soon be over, I cannot wait to see what these last few weeks have in store for me. I will be helping my agent as she goes and helps prepare for the state fair. Louisville, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment