Monday, August 3, 2015

Busy but Fantastic

Summer 2015 is winding down and so is my internship at the Clark County Extension Office. My to-do list is almost complete and my summer project is finalized. During my last blog I wrote about planning for a summer day camp called “Getting in the Garden.” Twenty youth participated in the day camp making food and learning about soil quality. All of the participants enjoy the day camp and were excited to share the recipes with their family and friends.

 After the day camp was completed, I went to work finalizing my main summer project. I contacted participants from the 2015 communications contest to video their speech and demonstration. These clips were made into a longer video for the agents to show in school classrooms. Along with the video, I created a grading sheet that includes a scale for the students to judge the participants in the video. The guidelines the students are judging came from the actual judging sheets for the communications contest. The video and judging sheets will allow the students to visually see what an actual speech or demonstration looks like for a competition.

 During the last week of my internship I had the opportunity to work with David Davis, the agriculture agent in Clark County. For David’s Ag Field day, I planned farm friendly kid’s activities for kids to do while the adults went on the farm tour. I also helped set up for the event, attended the event where I helped on the tour and with the kids activity, and of course cleaned up for two days afterwards. In between working on the field day, David let me tag along on a few farm visits where we looked at soy beans and maple trees. The work was hard but very rewarding.

To describe my summer in two words would be bust but fantastic. Some days went late into the night, some days were spent on the road, and some days were too short. Having the chance to work for the extension office has given me more of an appreciation for the agents. The agents in the Clark County Extension office do more than just go to camp and buy supplies for activities; they teach and support everyone they encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment