Thursday, August 13, 2015

Project: Ag Appreciation Night

                  To wrap up my internship at the Daviess County Extension Office I hosted Ag Appreciation Night at Friday After 5 in downtown Owensboro on the river front.  This event was a huge success! During the course of the summer I had been working to get several local Owensboro/Daviess County agricultural businesses to come out to Ag Appreciation Night to set up a booth to tell their agricultural story and what they contribute to the community.  Along with vendors, I also had some farm machinery set up for display.  Once everything was set up downtown last Friday night, I knew all of my hard work had paid off.  The river front looked fantastic!
                  At the beginning of the summer when I learned about this project I was overcome with excitement.  Organizing events such as these has always been one of my favorite things to do and this event was even better because I got to display what a great agricultural community Daviess County/Owensboro is.  Planning Ag Appreciation Night gave me the opportunity to put my organizational, communication, and marketing skills to good work.  Contacting the agricultural vendors in Daviess County/Owensboro was a great way to network with individuals in the community and create relationships that will be of benefit to me in my future career. By creating the Ag Appreciation Night logo, registration form, and other marketing tools I was able to excel in many computer programs as well. 
                  Overall, being able to put on this event was such a unique and rewarding experience.  I would not have been able to do it without the amazing support from the Daviess County Extension Office, the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce, and Daviess County Farm Bureau.  I have grown as a person in so many ways after all of my internships with Cooperative Extension and I know that this is the career for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment