Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Firsts...

I still have a couple of days left of my internship but I've recently sat back and thought of all the things that I've done for the first time since I started this internship.

I rode on a helicopter for the first time ever. Although it was a scary moment I am so glad that I got the opportunity to do so. I had such a blast and I learned so much about helicopters and airplanes.

I attended camp for the first time in my life. I'm not much of an outside person, so when I heard about camp I was nervous. The first day was a lot to handle because our rooms didn't have air conditioning and the idea of using bath houses really scared me. Once I realized that I needed to just enjoy nature and enjoy spending time with the kids, I had a blast. I was a cabin leader for 20 girls and our cabin was filled with laughter and we all made lifelong memories. Experiencing camp for the first time ever is something that I will tell people for a long time; not only did I have to overcome my fears of bugs and bath houses but I learned a lot during those four days.

I taught a class at the YMCA. It may not sound like a lot but before starting this internship I was terrified of public speaking and now knowing that I can get up there and teach a whole class shows me how much I've grown during this time. I'm still not the biggest fan of speaking in public but I'm getting better.

I experienced the county fair for the first time. I had always heard about the fair but I had never gone to one.  This year fair week was a little crazy and we also worked in the 4-H booth selling food. At moments I found it very hard to keep going because I was tired, my feet were hurting but I pushed through and we had a very successful turn out.

I went to Teen Conference in Lexington. We took a couple of kids to Teen Conference and they all learned a lot and had a lot of fun. We got to stay in the new dorms at UK, which was very nice and the activities that we had planned out were a success.

I got to go to Virginia Tech and attend the NICE Conference. I had a blast at Virginia Tech and learned a lot about cooperatives and I know the kids learned a lot and they had so much fun, which is very rewarding. I am very glad I got to attend.

The things that I mentioned above aren't even half of the things that I did for the first time. Coming in to the internship I would have never thought that I would have done all this things and although some of them were scary or they were tiring they each taught me something about myself and I don't regret doing them. I learned that I can survive a week at camp, I learned that I can speak in public and not be terrified, I learned about how much of an influence we are to the youth. Each one of these lessons are things that I will need for the future and my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment