Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Falling in Love With Extension

All is swell here in Woodford County. I am five weeks into my internship and I have to say...I am starting to fall in love with extension. Coming in to this summer experience I knew very little about this place called the "Woodford County Cooperative Extension Service." Yes, I had been in the building many times for sewing camp, farm tours, Woodford Leadership events, and other community programs. However, I just saw this place as a building. A building where a bunch of random things happened and everyone seemed to know everyone. As I spend more and more time in my make-shift office space squeezed in the corner of our main meeting room, I feel like I am starting to become part of the rich extension community. While I could have been placed in our open Program Assistant office in the basement, I am thankful to sit in the center of the craziness and take it all in.

Each day I hear the faint sound of  Angela in the Farm Service Agency. Mrs. Lillie walks by with a big smile and a "Heeeyy girl!" Ona asks me how I'm doing and tells me that she is "An honest person. What you see is what you get." Faye receives calls about diseased tomatoes, dying flowers, and the farmers market. Ryan talks to endless amounts of parents about the ins and outs of 4-H Camp. Wanda answers phones and does 5,000 more things with patience and a smile. Adam is literally never here, and makes me wonder if Ag Agents even do anything? (just joking, just joking). Elizabeth writes, calls, plans, and shows me the life of an FCS Agent. I do a little bit of everything. That is the beauty of extension, right? No day is the same here at the Woodford County Cooperative Extension Service, and I'm starting to think I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment