Saturday, June 27, 2015

Life As A Double Agent: Part 2

           My favorite part of extension thus far: Everyday is different! When I go to the office I know that I will not be doing the same thing that I did the day before, in fact I will most likely do something that I have never done before. It is always an adventure! The best way for me to show you an example of that would be to give you a run down of my past two weeks. So here it goes.
           Day one of past two weeks. On the first day I worked with the FCS agent and the SNAP assistant on a nutrition class. This class takes place every other day, for three days, once a month and is focused on each part of MyPlate. Many women attend this class. These women have very different backgrounds and lives, but they all seem to enjoy the class. On the second day of the week I learned how to make homemade blueberry jam, blueberry cream cheese poundcake and can and freeze blueberries. Cooking has always been a favorite of mine, as well as eating, but I hadn't ever had the opportunity to make homemade jam or can. I truly loved this experience and look forward to doing more elaborate canning. On the third day we had another nutrition class. On the fourth day we went to Bowling Green to take part in a craft day with other surrounding county FCS Agents. At this craft day I learned to make alcohol ink tiles. I made the ink tiles in to a set of drink coasters for my sister and her fiancé. They were super cute, fun and easy to make! On the fifth day we had another nutrition class. 
            The second week was a 4H Project Day camp. This week was literally crazy! We had around 25 children participate in day camp, the ages varied from 7-17. It can sometimes be a challenge to find things that can keep children occupied for seven hours straight with such a wide age range, but we were very successful and the children seemed to have a blast! So many things happened during this week that it will probably be easiest for me to sum up the week as a whole rather than by each day. We made TONS of crafts (which I absolutely loved)! A list of the crafts we made are as follows: silhouette paintings, alcohol ink tiles, random paintings on canvas, our own canvases, lamps, peg boards, birdhouses, wood burnings, plaques, pot holders, skirts and backpacks, para chord bracelets, and tie dye t-shirts. Aside from all the crafts we did we also cooked, baked and make ice cream. There were also many special guests there! We had local horse owners bring in their horses to teach about horse safety, education and give horse rides. There were lessons about the weather from a former local high school science teacher and also lessons about the trees and leaves from a local fish and wildlife conservationist. Each day I learned something new and went home exhausted! Although it was exhausting it was well worth it! Being an extension intern is hard work, but I am very lucky to have this opportunity and I truly love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment