Friday, May 22, 2015

"...Wood Bees to Willow Trees."

Week One McCracken County
By: Cole Bell


     The first day I sat in on staff meeting at 9:00 where I got to meet the agents and staff. Shortly thereafter we made a trip to Sam’s club for to pick up supplies for the Backpack Food for Kids program. I have spent four days working with Kathy Wimberley the Horticulture Agent here in McCracken County. The first three days we spent a large amount of time working at the UK Extension Demonstration & Trial Gardens. We spent one day pulling weeds from the beds, removing old perennials that will be given away at farmers market, and preparing the soil for new plants. We were lucky enough to have help from one of the students of the Master Garden Class. The following day we began planting the beds, the plants will be evaluated by Master Gardeners each month and at the end of the year the information is available for local gardeners to use in selecting plants for their home gardens. Another day I got to make a power point presentation on entomology that I presented to Kathy’s Master Gardener class that evening.


     I couldn’t even tell you how many people have been looking for answers about cicadas, everyone that I have had the pleasure to talk to has been eager to listen. I've also gotten to talk to homeowners about everything from Wood Bees to Willow Trees. I have learned that simply listening to someone who comes in to the office eases them almost as much as any of the advice we may be able to offer them. Listening is a great skill.

     Later in the week I was able to go with Ag agent Amie Buckman to a local blueberry patch where we set up traps for Spotted Wing Drosophila. The traps will be checked each week and contents of the trap will be sent to the department of Entomology in Lexington. The owners of the crop were very eager to participate, knowing that trapping the insects will help them out. I am excited about the opportunity that I have to go to Princeton next week and visit the Research and Education Center. It has been a great first week, and I am sure many more like it to come!

 Cole Bell McCracken County

No comments:

Post a Comment