Friday, May 22, 2015

Intro to Extension

 

By the time I was through half of my first day interning with Agriculture and Natural Resources Agent Brian Jeffiers in Johnson County, I realized that I was certainly going to enjoy this position. I started last Monday, May 11. After a very welcoming introduction to the office staff and all the agents, I jumped right into the action by helping begin to fill out Senior Citizen vouchers for our upcoming Farmer's Market. Voucher distribution has continued up until now, and it's a great thing to see the involvement and the interest generated about our Farmer's Market! I also sat in on the district staff meeting last week, which was on the Link system.

Throughout last week Mr. Jeffiers and I responded to several home and farm visits. It was my pleasure to meet and help advise homeowners on issues ranging from landscaping freeze damage to soil acidity issues. It was also fantastic to meet some of the county's farmers, which I expect to be working with throughout the course of my internship. I also have been scheduling workshops for the county's beekeeping and cattle producers, which are coming up within the next few weeks. The Highland Beef Cattle Association's next meeting is on a variety of topics, including synchronizing breeding cycles and the economic benefits for producers that go along with that practice. This week has encompassed my training for our 4-H camp attendance with the Johnson County 4-H Teen Club, and I assisted the county 4-H agent, Dianna Reed, with a few of her camp planning and inventory needs.

In terms of upcoming events, I'll be getting ready for our beekeeper's workshop next week, preparing for 4-H camp, and continuing with Farmer's Market prep. I've  had a great first two weeks with Johnson County Extension, and can't wait to see what the rest of the summer holds!

Josh Baldwin
Johnson County Ag and Natural Resources Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment