Thursday, May 21, 2015

Great beginnings! Blog post 1, week 2.

I have the wonderful opportunity to be able to intern in my home county of Spencer, were I was a former 4Her! Growing up in 4H gives you an appreciation for all things that extension offers in youth development, however my eyes have truly started to open over the past (almost two weeks) to just how much extensions involvement is reflected into the county on so many levels, from Cloverbuds to the Homemakers.

During week one of interning I was able to sit in on the teen conference online orientation in order to prepare for TC in June, since I have the opportunity to attend as an adult for the first time. Also on my second day I was able to help host an SOS cooking class with special guest Josh Moore, Head Chef at Volare Italian restaurant in Louisville, he is also a local farmer and extension supporter. At this SOS class attendees were able to be walked through step by step preparations for three different dishes and had the chance to taste test them as well! Later in the week I was able to attend the district 3 staff meeting in Burlington, at Boone County's Enrichment Center. Which was a beautiful brand new facility! Wednesday afternoon, I assisted with the tag in validation of the youth livestock that is hosted at our high school, we tagged in 94 in-county market livestock and 90 out of county! Week one ended at the Spencer County Shooting Sports Invitational, where our shooting supports club hosted a 13 county competition, I learned so much about shooting terminology and adding up different disciplines' score cards.

Week two has been just as busy, if not more! I am currently in process of working on my special project with the Livestock Club, and with the Summer Enrichment Program hosted with the Family Resource Center at the middle school. I have sat in on Teen Council and Livestock meetings so far this week.

On to week 3! 

-Emily Hume, Spencer County Extension Intern 

No comments:

Post a Comment