Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Chickens, Cockroaches, and Cooking...Oh my!


If there is one thing I have learned from my short week and a half as an extension intern it's that in extension no two days are the same. Yesterday was cooking today was cockroaches. I am interning in Marion County and getting to work with all three of the Agents as well as the EFNEP assistant. My first week I worked primarily with the 4-H Agent Rebecca Hill. As you may know 4-H camp is coming up quickly so we have been prepping, my first day on the job, May 11th, I help with ordering T-shirts. I also went to St.A, one of the elementary schools in Marion County, for their school club. We talked about Kentucky agriculture, specifically Marion County’s major ag enterprises. As a special treat Ms. Rebecca and I brought along two newly hatched chicks, we talked a little about the breeds of chickens and the life cycle. 
Throughout the week I visited a few other schools including a head start and 7th grade science class. I went to head start with Lizzie Spalding, the FCS agent, we talked to the kids about protein and sampled turkey barbecue. In the science class Ms. Rebecca and I did a lesson on electricity using snap circuits, we also did a lesson about energy and raced cockroaches. Over the past week and a half I have also gone to several meeting including the Marion County Cattlemen's with our Ag and Natural Resource agent David Kessler, and the district board meeting. I did several cooking classes with FCS agent and EFNEP assistant, Juanita Herron, as well gone to the local radio station to talk about some of the upcoming summer programs. I observed the Ag agent install a nook of bees in the Extension Office bee hive, I have definitely dealt with more insects than I had thought I would. If the past few days have been any indication of what’s to come I know I am never going to have a boring day at the office. I hope to update this blog every week or so that I can share all of the fun and exciting things I will be doing this summer. I hope everyone is having as much fun with their internship as I am.   
-Meagan Lucas



No comments:

Post a Comment